Early preparations

posted Feb 20, 2012, 5:23 PM by Scoob Edoo
So I finally put together a day to work on some of the outstanding items.  I mounted the redone cylinder and head with no problems.  When I moved to the ignition, I found that I needed a special tool to get the flywheel off.  So I ran to Mt Holly Powersports for the $20 tool and it took about 10 min to get the old one off and the new one on.  And then I found that the coil I bought with the rest of the ignition system was a 98 - and too big to fit in the coil mount on the motor... So I have to get a 99 coil to complete the system.

Next it was on to Kieran's axle, swapping from the 30mm to the 40mm axle.  I thought I had everything I needed, but then I found that the cassettes on there couldn't hold the bearings.  But I had bought new cassettes and they will not fit in the brackets on the chassis.  I even checked to see if they would fit on my chassis - and they would not, so they are monster-sized.  Must be a newer standard.  I also looked at the cassettes on the cadet chassis and thought they might work, but their openings are too small for the bearings.  So I'll have to buy some new cassettes for his, too.

And it's time to order the MG Reds for his kart.  I'll do that later this week after I talk to Jim at CKT.
Comments