All is not well in motor land

posted Jan 27, 2013, 1:43 PM by Scoob Edoo
After playing with Kieran's motor a little a few weeks ago and getting the throttle stop set up and got it running a little for a few minutes.  Sounded good and I was pretty happy.  Then I figured out that the clutch needed to be run "inboard" so I had to swap it.  That meant dismounting the motor, taking off the clutch, swapping the innards, then remounting.  It took me awhile to get the clutch off the crank since there's no way to hold the clutch while loosening the bolt, but I did eventually get it.  I got all of the clutch pieces in the right order, then remounted the clutch, got the chain on and lined up the axle sprocket, got everything tightened down, then tried to pull the start cord.

Almost killed my arm when the cord didn't move an inch.  I tried everything and nothing worked.

So off to the interwebs to ask for advice.  Also pinged Old Man Sheidler since he ran this motor from the beginning.  I eventually started dismantling the motor piece by piece, looking for something that had broken and gotten stuck, but I never did find anything.  The piston wasn't stuck, the rod isn't broken (as far as I can tell at this point), and the recoil start (pull string) is fine.  I'm currently at the point of pulling the crankcase cover to see if something in there is the problem - really the last option at this point.  I can't get the cover off all the way; it seems like the end of the crank is stuck at the oil seal.  Still looking for a resolution to that, so I will write more after I get to that point and find the problem.
Comments